- Once there was a dolphin, who was hungry.
- When he was hungry, he found a little fish and was hunting him.
- The dolphin was hunting the little fish through the entire sea.
- The little fish was searching for a hiding place to avoid the dolphin.
- He found a ditch, but it was not a good place to avoid the dolphin.
- He found a ship, but it was not a good place to avoid the dolphin.
- He found a port, but there were so many people there that it was not a good place to avoid the dolphin.
- Finally, the little fish fled to a cliff to avoid the dolphin.
- The dolphin chased the little fish with such a violent attack that the little fish and the dolphin crashed into the shore.
Don't Mess with DEA!
Daily. Engagement. Assessment. Tips for making sure you are getting as much out of Latin as possible.
1. Be present and on time. If you are late, you mess with DEA!
2. Sit up, shoulders square and make eye contact with the teacher or whoever is talking at any given point. I can see in your eyes whether you are understanding or not, and if I cannot make contact with your eyes, you are messing with DEA!
3. Signal to me when you don't understand, need me to repeat, slow down, stop, do understand, etc. I am constantly looking for hand signals. If I never get hand signals from you, you are messing with DEA!
4. Respond when I call on the whole class--loud, clear, enthusiastically!
5. Respond when I call on you. Be clever, funny absurd with your responses if you want to (that keeps things fun). Telling me "non intellego" or "confusus sum" or giving me a hand signal to let me know that you need help counts as a response, too. Staying silent when you are lost is messing with DEA!
6. Don't have side conversations in English. (If you can have a side conversation in Latin, go right ahead, but don't disturb what we are doing). Speaking in English while we are speaking Latin is a HUGE messing with DEA!
7. People who blurt out in any language are messing with DEA!
8. Keep an attitude of good will toward everyone in the room. Bad attitudes and bad will towards others is messing with DEA!
9. Have nothing on your desk, in your lap or in your hands while we are speaking in Latin. If I have to ask you to remove things, you're messing with DEA!
10. If you take notes on anything without being asked to, you're messing with DEA!
DEA will work for you every single time, but just mess with DEA, and you won't learn any Latin. Got it?